Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Carbon Monoxide on Center Stage

 by Jim West (please share and cite) 

Natural gas is advertised as a toxic hazard -- if a stove is not adjusted properly because carbon monoxide could result. Carbon monoxide is toxic, however, the way it is framed in the media is misleading.

The most toxic exhaust component is not monoxide. It is nitrogen dioxide (NO2), formaldehyde, PAH, etc.

No matter how well adjusted the oxygen/fuel ratio of your stove, these poisons are present -- carbon monoxide or no carbon monoxide.

Unventilated fired devices (stoves, boilers and room heaters) are a great a hazard. Their toxic symptoms are usually misdiagnosed as "colds" and "influenza". Dolan (1985)

Dolan uses carbon monoxide presence as an indicator of exhaust presence in order to reveal such misdiagnoses.

However, a low carbon monoxide reading, is an unreliable, misleading, and deadly indicator of stove safety.
Disclaimer: The author is not an authority or professional. For medical advice, see a trusted professional without delay. All statements are hypotheses for discussion. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Fair Use Act Disclaimer: This site is for discussion purposes only. Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research.

Intellectual Property Rights: The intellectual property aggregated and redistributed in this site is for educational use only and is considered protected by standards of fair use. Intellectual property owners have been cited where possible. Original material produced for this site is copyright Jim West / harvoa 2020, All rights reserved.

Please support 
this work by sharing, buying books, or donating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carbon Monoxide on Center Stage

  by Jim West   (please share and cite)   Natural gas is advertised as a toxic hazard -- if a stove is not adjusted properly because carbon ...